Lived in Brooklyn, NY.
Resident of the Heights (Brooklyn), NY [•Henry E (Jr.) obit.]. At the time of death another article [Jr. obit] states that Sr. has been dead for about 12 years (clipping 1913) which would be about 1901.
Resident of Brooklyn, NY (1st district, 3rd ward) in the 1860 census. [Nesmith, Henry E. NY KINGS CO. BROOKLYN 3 W. 1 DI 474 1860] also
Lived at 117 Remsen Street, Brooklyn at time of death.
Director to the Mechanic’s National bank. elected Jan 11,1899 (also Charles M. Pratt?).
1860c. NEW YORK KINGS 3-WD BROOKLYN, [M653 R764 P474]
Henry E. Nesmith, ae.32, merchant, RE15,000, P1000, b.MA (error)
Sarah H., ae.35,
Henry E. Jr. Nesmith, ae.6, b.NY,
Mary C. Nesmith, ae.4, b.NY,
Howard M. Nesmith, ae.2, b.NY,
Frederick W. Nesmith, ae.1, b.NY, not in 1870c.
1870c. NEW YORK KINGS 3-WD BROOKLYN [M593 R946 P263]
Henry E. Nesmith, ae.41, shipping merchant, b.NY,
Sarah H, ae.45, b.MA,
Henry Nesmith, ae.16, b.NY,
Mary C. Nesmith, ae.14, b.NY,
Howard Nesmith, ae.12, b.NY,
Agnes F. Nesmith, ae.9, b.NY,
Abbey L. Nesmith, ae.7, b.NY,
Charles Nesmith, ae.2, b.NY,
Henry Macomber, ae.35, invalid, b.MA, (brother-in-law)
1880c. Brooklyn, NY on 7 June 1880 [p.23] on Remsen Street,
Henry Nesmith, ae.52, shipping merchant, b.NY, f.b.NY, m.b.NY,
Mary C. Nesmith, dau. ae.24, b.NY, f.b.NY, m.b.MA,
Howard M. Nesmith, son, ae.22, oil painter, b.NY, f.b.NY, m.b.MA,
Agnes F. Nesmith, dau., ae.19, b.NY, f.b.NY, m.b.MA,
Abbie Nesmith, dau., ae.17, b.NY, f.b.NY, m.b.MA,
Charles W? Nesmith, son, ae.12, b.NY, f.b.NY, m.b.MA,
see [“Notable New Yorkers of 1896-1899: a companion volume to Kings handbook of New York City. New York, N.Y.: M. King, c1899, 618 pgs., p.257: at heritage quest] a portrait of Henry E. Nesmith, “Nesmith & Sons, Shipping and Commission Merchants, Director Mechanics’ National Bank”
[From Brooklyn, NY, Historical Chronology, 1642 - 2000, posted online at:
"1885: James Nesmiths son, Henry Nesmith, commissions Brooklyn architect Thomas Stone to design and build the 5-story section of the Empire Stores (toward Main Street)."
"1889: On April 20, the entire block between Dock Street and Main and Water and Plymouth Streets is transferred from James Nesmith and George Baxter to James Nesmith and his son, Henry (1828-1901)."
Ad in [“Our firemen : the official history of the Brooklyn Fire Department, from the first volunteer to the latest appointee, Brooklyn, N.Y.: unknown, 1892, 593 pgs., p.522:] “Nesmith & Sons, Empire Stores; Corner Dock and Water Streets”
"1895: James and Henry Nesmith sell their property to the Brooklyn Wharf & Warehouse Company."
Died 18 Oct. 1901 at home 117 Remson Street, Brooklyn, NY.
“Index of Ships Names in Queens of the western ocean; the story of Americas mail and passenger sailing lines” by Carl C. Cutler 1961,
James Nesmith, p.373, 379,
Caroline Nesmith, p.386, 405, 525,
Henry Nesmith, p.409,
Nesmith, Charlotte NY KINGS CO. 3 W.BROOKLYN 2 TERR. 652 1860
Nesmith, James NY KINGS CO. 3 W.BROOKLYN 2 TERR. 651 1860 which seems that they were together and
Nesmith, James NY KINGS CO. 5 W.BROOKLYN 392 1860
Nesmith, Mary NY KINGS CO. 5 W.BROOKLYN 393 1860 and also
Nesmith, Henry NY NEW YORK CO. 11 W. NYC DIV. 10 755 1860 Son, Jr. and
Nesmith, James NY NEW YORK CO. BLACKWELLS ISLAND 151 1860
Nesmith, Joseph NY NEW YORK CO. 22 W. NYC DIV. 3 594 1860 and
Nesmith, James NY QUEENS CO. NEWTON 723 1860
[Dumbo Historical http://www.placeinhistory.org/Projects/Dumbo/DumboChron2.htm]
1855: James Nesmith begins to acquire the major portion of the land on which the Empire Stores stand.
1869: By this date, the Empire Stores occupy the entire block between Main and Dock Streets on the north side of Water Street. The area between Dock Street and Fulton Landing is occupied by the Fulton Stores and a coal yard.
1869-70: Nesmith begins construction of the four four-story warehouses (the eastern section toward Dock Street).
1885: James Nesmith’s son, Henry Nesmith, commissions Brooklyn architect Thomas Stone to design and build the 5-story section of the Empire Stores (toward Main Street).
1886: By this date, the Empire Stores occupies the entire block between Main and Dock Streets and Water and Plymouth Streets. West of Dock is the five-story Brooklyn Tobacco Inspection Warehouse and north of that is the huge one-story tobacco inspection warehouse. Adjacent to the five-story warehouse is a curious little office building and the long, thin, wood framed coal shed belonging to Marston and Powers.
1889: On April 20, the entire block between Dock Street and Main and Water and Plymouth Streets is transferred from James Nesmith and George Baxter to James Nesmith and his son, Henry (1828-1901).
1895: James and Henry Nesmith sell their property to the Brooklyn Wharf & Warehouse Company.
Sally (Ichabod6, Thomas5, Thomas4, Thomas3, Thomas2, William1). see The Macomber Genealogy by Everett S. Stackpole, Press of the Journal Company 1907-1909. There has been considerable confusion at times with Sarah Macomber Nesmith her daughter and also Sara Macomber, the wife of her son. [MW]
Lived Brooklyn, NY, at 117 Remsen St at time of death of “Congestion of the Lungs”; Death certif says had been in NYC for18 years. Name on Death Certificate [•] is “Sarah H. M. Nesmith” for Sarah Howard Macomber Nesmith.
1. Sarah Macomber NESMITH, b.9 Dec.1851 prob. Brooklyn, NY, d.10 June 1853,
2.+Henry Edwin NESMITH Jr., b.16 May 1854 Bethpage, LI, NY, m. Sarah M. MACOMBER,
3.+Mary Caroline NESMITH, b.20 Mar.1856, m. Benjamin Augustus JESSUP,
4.+Howard Macomber NESMITH, b.22 Dec.1857, m. Jennie M. BURLESON,
5. Frederic NESMITH, b.28 Apr.1859, d.9 Mar.1861.
6. Agnes NESMITH, b.1 Mar.1861, m. Edwin H. SHETHAR,
7.+Abby Louise NESMITH, b.24 May 1863, m. Henry Edwin BAXTER,
8. George NESMITH, b.13 Dec.1865 Brooklyn, NY, d.29 Sep.1866 Brooklyn, NY.
9. Charles A. NESMITH, b.19 Mar.1868, m. Helen Orem WEST,