Thomas Morrison Carnegie was born in Dunfermline, Scotland across the Firth of Fourth Bridge from Edinburgh Oct. 2. 1843 and immigrated to this country in 1848 with his mother, father and brother Andrew. Thomas was first employed when but 16 years old in the telegraphic Department of the Pennsylvania Railroad Co., where his brother Andrew, who had been previously employed as an operator by Mr. Thomas A. Scott. Tom remianed at the Railroad until 1860 when he went into partnership with Andrew Kloman, Henry Phipps and others and formed the firm of Kloman and Phipps, operating the mill now known as the Twenty-ninth Street Works of Carnegie, Phipps and Co. This firm afterwards united with the Cyclops Iron Co. of which Andrew Carnegie and Thomas Miller were the principal stock holders under the firm name of The Union Works.
In 1865 the firm purchased the Cyclops Mill at 33rd St., and both concerns were consolidated under the title of Union Iron Mills. In 1871the first Lucy furnace was built and put in blast in 1872. This, with the Isabella Furnace build by other parties about the same time, marked the beginning of the new era in coke furnace practice which eventuated in the magnificent furnaces of the Edgar Thompson Stell Works, and in the increased production of coke furnaces all over the country. In 1873 with some other capitalists, they established the Edgar Thompson Steel Works under the firm name of Carnegie, McCandless and Co., Ltd, with Thomas M.Carnegie as chairman. The other manufacturing interests in which Mr.Carnegie, his brother, Andrew, and Mr. Phipps were concerned, including the Pittsburgh Bessemer Steel Works, were also consolidated under the title of Carnegie, Phipps and Co., Ltd. Mr Carnegie was one of the board managers.
Picture courtesy of the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh, catalog Bu5.
Dau. of William COLEMAN and Nancy TROVILLO,
1. William Coleman CARNEGIE, b.24 Apr.1867, d.28 July 1944, [1900c. says b. Apr.1866]
2. Frank Morrison CARNEGIE, b.12 Sep.1868, d.22 Feb.1917,[1900c. says b. Apr.1867]
3.+Andrew CARNEGIE, b.1 June 1870 Pittsburgh, Allegheny Co., Pennsylvania,[1900c.]
4.+Margaret”Retta” CARNEGIE, b. Apr.1871, d.8 Oct.1927, [1900c. as” Oliver Ricketson, dau.”]
5.+Thomas Morrison CARNEGIE, b.6 Jan.1874, d.22 Sep.1944 Cumberland Island, GA,
6. George Lauder CARNEGIE, b.1876 Pittsburgh, [not in family 1900c.], d.1921,
7.+Florence Nightingale CARNEGIE, b. June 1878 [1900c.] Pittsburgh,
8. Coleman CARNEGIE, b.24 July 1880 Pittsburgh [1900c.], d.7 Aug.1911 Pattens Mills, Glens Falls, NY,
9. Nancy Trovillo CARNEGIE, b. Sep.1882 Pittsburgh [1900c.], d.1954, After the death of her brother George, she moved into the Plum Orchard mansion, in 1924,
Lucy Coleman was born in Pittsburgh, probably at her fathers housecalled Homewood. She met Thomas Morrison Carnegie, through her father, who was connected with the Carnegie brothers in business. He provided coaland coke for their factories. They were married when she was twenty in 1866. When young, whe was very slim with dark hair and brown eyes. As she became older, she became very stout, and being short, she had difficulty getting around. On the island she rowed a flat-bottomed boat up and down Little Creek and crabbed form it. She rode horesback with the children, played golf and shot with the boys, and in later years, drove her own electric car. "Mama Carnegie" as she was called by the family, was always interested in and kind to the in-laws.
(From an obituary in a Pittsburgh newspaper) : Mrs. Carnegie was born in Pittsburgh and spent the greater portion of her life in this city. She was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Coleman, her father being a wealthy landowner of Pittsburgh. During the winter months for the past 20 years she had made her home on Cumberland Island, GA, and spent the summers in the Adirondack Mountains, New York. When she became ill, she was removed to her residence in Waverly in order that she might be close to her family physician. Cumberland Island was owned by Mrs. Carnegie and is in the Atlantic Ocean near the borders of GA and FL. The island is 21 miles in circumference and contains many elaborate residences which are siturated miles apart. Mrs. Carnegie owned several of these fine homes, and each was given a Scotch name. Andrew Carnegie visited the Island each winter and found much pleasure on its golf links. [The Carnegies & Cumberland Island by Nancy Carnegie Rockefeller]